Thursday, April 30, 2009

Some more seeds sown

Having finished work a bit earlier than expected and after some decent rainfall had softened the ground, I thought it was a good opportunity to sow some seeds direct in the ground. I've done a fair bit of digging in preparation recently so I simply ran the hoe through the surface to create a nice fine tilth perfect for sowing seeds.

I am yet to plant anything in my raised beds so I decided a few rows in the traditional side of the plot would be best. Spacing the rows 30-40cms apart and sowing thinly in shallow drills, I have now sown Carrot 'Autumn King', Beetroot 'Boltardy' and 'Burpee's Golden', Scorzonera and Swede 'Brora'.

One of the things that was noticeable when I covered the seeds was how much the soil had warmed up from only a few weeks ago, when it was cold to the touch. As gardeners we are always looking to steal a march on the seasons by planting early but I sometimes wonder whether it's worth the effort. The seeds sit in cold, damp soil and their later-sown counterparts nearly always catch up. Maybe it's time to relax a bit more and accept that, outside at least, there's no need to rush things.

With the warmth and moisture now available I'm expecting rapid germination, particularly of the beetroot. Having never before grown Scorzonera I'm not sure what to expect - the seed was certainly interesting!

In other news, the first sweetcorn seedlings have popped their heads through the compost in their root trainers and are now reaching towards the light. There's no action thus far from any of the cucurbits but I expect this will change in the next couple of days. At the plot the Pentland Javelin potatoes are showing through and the first of the asparagus spears have appeared.

No comments: